This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Invalid field data type - version 1.6

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Hi,

I have a .mdb file (Access 2003) with a table that has a field declared as Number (Field size: Decimal; Precision: 3; Scale: 1 ). When I'm exporting the table everything is fine but when I'm trying to import the table I'm getting the following error:

"Error at line .. : Invalid field data type."

If I look at the txt file I see that for that field Type: 20.

Any ideas why I'm getting this error?.. Is there a workaround?

Thank you

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The sort answer: It a very bad design decision form MS

Its a bad joke that, with dao,  you can read and write data, read the table schema, but you cannot write the schema.

A workaround is to use a currency or double data type instead.

You can get more info at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1630526/how-to-create-a-decimal-field-in-msaccess-using-dao

When I designed the table schema read and write operations I decided between two options:

• Use DDL sentences to create/modify the tables
  • Use TableDef objects

Finally I used the second because it allowed to manage extended properties like validations, formats, labels,... Unfortunately this leaves few oportunities for use both ADO and DAO libraries simultaneously depending the field data type.

Perhaps in a future I would rewrite the creation table objects to create the fields using ADO and then, modify them whit DAO to add the extended properties. Would it work? :-)

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Thanks for you answer ... and especially for your work on developing this tool.

The workaround you've mentioned won't work for me because the table I was talking about is actually a linked table from SqlBase... but that's not a showstopper.

My plan was to have the .mdb file regenerated from scratch each night ... but I think I can have an empty .mdb file just with the tables in place and generate the rest of the objects from files using your tool.

Is there a way to dump the Import Specifications using your tool? .. I think they are stored in 2 hidden Access tables.

Thank you

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM
ionutz_gorea wrote:

Is there a way to dump the Import Specifications using your tool? .. I think they are stored in 2 hidden Access tables.

Not for now. I avoided the use of hidden tables: They can change betwee versions.

If there are more petitions about that, I would include the functionality in a future release.

regards